Monday, June 28, 2010

Twice as nice?

I'm trying to bring back the lost art of letter writing, more specifically, package sending. Bonnie mailed me mint brownies and cookies on my birthday. There were a few crumbs, but the food stayed surprisingly well. This of course meant I could eat all of the brownies and all of the cookies within the first few minutes of opening the package-- at 9 am.

So, it's my turn to return the favor. Tonight I made cookies for Bonnie and Lauren. Ok, well, tonight I started to make cookies for Bonnie and Lauren.

When I bake, I usually substitute the butter or other fat (like oil) with something healthier. This can be mashed banana, pumpkin puree, yogurt or applesauce. I had just the right amount of applesauce to finish off the jar, so I used that. Usually, the ratio for the substitute will be the same, but it's a matter of preference. Some people prefer to use 1/2 the required amount of fat with 1/2 substitute. The consistency is a little different when you substitute the fat, though. Cookies turn out more cake like, cakes are more moist. This doesn't work with everything so you have to toy around. Using eggs in recipes can also be altered. If a recipe calls for one whole egg, you can use two egg whites (keeping with a 1:2 ratio). Or, if more than one egg is required, you can use both whole egg(s) and substitute egg(s) with egg whites. For all of these changes, cooking times will vary. Until you get the hang of it, you'll have to check the oven frequently. Most times, the flavor doesn't change too much, but be cautious. Sweetened applesauce will make a bigger difference than unsweetened, etc.

Tonight I made sugar "cookies" (more like cake-cookies) with m&m's mixed in. Because they were so light, I figured I could have another.. then another.. then another.. Eight cookies later, here I am, full and ashamed. Bonnie and Lauren's boxes to be mailed remain empty, while I waddle around, sickeningly full. I'll do better next time!

2 comments:

  1. wait. those cookies were... healthy??!!?!?! why have i been trying to pace myself!!!!! jeez i am embarrassed. they are too delectable to be nutritious! show me your wayz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, here's the thing.... I ate the "healthy" version. I think I made yours the "other" way. But, semi-good news, I used Smart Balance margarine instead of butter in your batch. That's a win!

    ReplyDelete