Saturday, July 31, 2010

Crunchwrap Supremer

I can't tell you the last time I ate fast-food. I've watched one too many documentaries about what might be in the deep fryers and ovens of America's beloved fast-food chains, to forever defer me from my nearest drive-thru. That, and I have this "thing" about knowing exactly what is in my food. The nutrition charts many chain-restaurants provide show only the disturbing amount of calories in their meals, not ingredients.

But lets be honest, there are no fries that have quite that addicting taste like McDonald's do. And when it comes to totally non-traditional, yet strangely satisfying Mexican food, Taco Bell really hits the spot.

Which leads me to my fast-food vice-- the Crunchwrap Supreme. For some reason, I think the crunchy and soft meal is completely wonderful. But since my health kick began and I became more creative in the kitchen, I knew that if I wanted a Crunchwrap, I'd have to make it myself.



And boy, did I.

Ingredients:
1 extra large tortilla (used wheat)
1 tostada shell (substituted with three crushed chips)
1/2 small chicken breast
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 lime juice
1/4 cup tomato
1/4 cup lettuce
2 tbs. sour cream (used fat-free)
2-3 tbs. grated cheese (used 2% milk, reduced fat cheese)

-In a skillet on medium heat, cook chicken for two minutes. Add salsa and lime juice and cover with lid.
-When chicken is finished cooking, shred with two forks on a cutting board.
-Lay out tortilla and spread sour cream in the center-- the width of the tostada.
-Place diced tomatoes and chopped lettuce on top of that.
-Place tostada shell (or chips) on top of veggies.
-Put chicken and then cheese on top of shell.
-Fold over tortilla six times. Each flap should over lap the next.
-Place crunchwrap on a skillet on medium-high heat. Press down firmly with spatula to add weight. Flip when the first side is golden to your liking.

For a vegetarian option, substitute the chicken for black beans.
Ingredients:
1 can black beans
1 clove garlic
1/2 lime juice
3 tbs. salsa
Pinch of salt

Blend all ingredients together using a mixer (I use my blender) then heat in a pot over medium heat.

Enjoy! I served it with blue corn tortilla chips and roasted red pepper salsa, yum.

2 comments:

  1. oh goodness, i'm totally doing this. you are really inspiring me to cook more! amazing!

    ReplyDelete